Forming a New York not-for-profit corporation is a good decision for organizing a local nonprofit in New York. If you are thinking about starting a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) or other 501(c) tax-exempt organization, or non-governmental organization (NGO), we can also assist you in incorporating the corporation to begin the process.
A corporation is considered a “legal person” while humans are considered “natural persons.” As a person in its own right, the acts of a corporation are considered separate from those of its directors, officers and members, and the liabilities of a corporation generally cannot be attributed to them. Because of this, a New York not-for-profit corporation is a good choice to protect directors, officers and members of a nonprofit operating in New York from personal liability in the event of unexpected and unfortunate circumstances.
New York Not-for-Profit Corporation Incorporation Package
Package includes the following:
- Draft of the certificate of incorporation for the New York not-for-profit corporation, including 501(c)(3) language if appropriate.
- File the certificate of incorporation with the New York Department of State, Division of Corporations.
- Draft standard corporate bylaws in accordance with the New York Not-for-Profit Corporation law.
- Draft conflicts-of-interests policy.
- Draft statement of incorporator.
- Draft initial resolutions of directors.
- Draft initial resolutions of members, if appropriate.
- Apply for Employer Identification Number (EIN), if requested.
Legal Fee*: starting at $1,088
*Legal fee is an estimate representing what we normally charge clients to form a standard New York not-for-profit corporation from start to finish. If a more complex institutional structure is required, or special provisions such as anti-takeover measures need to be made, fees may be higher. We are usually able to offer this service for a flat-fee once we’ve had the opportunity to discuss with you your vision for the nonprofit. Quote does not include state fees, which as of January 2018, are between $85 and $125.